BROWN BUTTER & THYME MASH
Elevate your mashed potatoes to a whole new level with our Brown Butter and Thyme Mash recipe. Velvety, golden-brown butter meets aromatic thyme in this delectable side dish. Simply prepare your mashed potatoes as usual, then infuse them with the rich, nutty flavour of browned butter and the earthy essence of fresh thyme. Say goodbye to plain old mashed potatoes and hello to a symphony of flavours that will impress your guests and leave them asking for seconds.
3 Medium Baking Potatoes
75g Unsalted Butter
1 Small Bunch of Thyme
1 Garlic Clove, bruised
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
Pinch of Thyme Leaves
THE BROWN BUTTER
- Place a large pan over a medium-high heat and melt the butter in the pan. Once melted add in the garlic and the thyme. Leave the butter to infuse for a minute or two until the thyme begins to crisp and the butter has turned golden-brown and nutty. Remove the thyme and garlic and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the brown butter to a small bowl and place in the fridge or freezer to solidify.
- Peel the potatoes and dice into eighths. Add to a pan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-25 minutes until easily pierced by a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and then puree with a hand masher or potato ricer.
- Using a whisk, beat in the milk until loosened and finely fold in the brown butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with a few thyme leaves.
This brown butter and thyme mash will be wonderful served with a hearty Coq au Vin.