COURGETTE & SMOKED MOZZARELLA QUESADILLAS
Our take on the ever-popular squash blossom quesadillas of Mexico. Sauteed courgette flowers combined with stringy Oaxaca cheese and melted within a just-crisp tortilla make for a beloved street food. We’ve replaced the tricky-to-find flowers with grated courgette and the nigh-on-impossible-to-find-in-the-UK Oaxaca cheese with smoky scamorza for a delicious twist to this mexican favourite. Whether enjoyed as an appetiser, lunch, or speedy supper, these quesadillas deliver a taste of Mexico’s vibrant streets to your table.
4 Corn Tortillas,
1 Large Courgette,
100g Scamorza, coarsely grated
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Jalapaeno, finely diced
2 Garlic Cloves, finely diced
1 tsp Dried Epazote
1 Small Bunch of Coriander, roughly chopped
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
THE COURGETTE FILLING
- Using a coarse grater, grate the courgette and place into a fine-mesh sieve. Generously salt the grated courgette and leave over a bowl for 10mins. This will help to reduce the moisture in the courgettes and seasons them at the same time.
- Place a large pan over a medium heat with a lug of olive oil. Add the onion, jalapeno and garlic into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until just starting to colour.
- Squeeze out any remaining moisture from grated courgettes and add to the pan along with dried epazote and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the grated courgette has reduced down.
- Season to taste and stir through the chopped coriander
- Place a large frying pan or crepe pan over a medium-high heat.
- Lay a corn tortilla into the dry pan and heat through for about 30 seconds before turning over. Add a layer of the grated cheese over the tortilla and then add a layer of the cooked courgette mixture to one half of the tortilla. Fold the other half over and leave to cook for 30 seconds before flipping over and cooking for about 1 minute or until both sides are slightly coloured and just starting to crisp and the cheese has melted. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve immediately with salsa of your choice.