SRI LANKAN DEVILLED CASHEWS
The ultimate bar snack? Sri Lanka’s Devilled dishes are not only limited to stir fries and curries – Roasted Cashews, with crispy onions and an addictive heat that will have you reaching for yet another handful. The perfect accompaniment to an ice cold beer.
200g Cashew Nuts
1 Large Shallot, finely sliced
1 tsp. Hot Chilli Powder
1 tsp. Ground Coriander
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
10–15 Curry Leaves
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
2 tsp. Coconut Oil
Juice of 1 Lime
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place a large, oven proof dish over a medium high heat and add the Coconut Oil. Once hot, add the Mustard Seeds and the Sliced Shallot and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the Onions are starting to colour.
3. Add the spices and Curry Leaves to the pan and cook off for 1 minute before adding the Cashew Nuts. Mix together to ensure the nuts are evenly covered with spice mix and then transfer to the oven.
4. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes until the nuts are colder brown and the onions are crispy.
5. Remove from the oven and squeeze over the lime juice. Mix together and allow to cool.
6. Enjoy these devilled cashews as a snack or try topping on curries. These should keep for a few days when placed in a sealed container, not that you’re likely to have any leftover!
NOTE: We absolutely love roasted cashews, as they’re not only delicious but seem to take one well the flavour we add to them. However, feel free to try this with other nuts like almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts.