SRI LANKAN DEVILLED GRILLED PRAWNS
Chinese influenced ‘Devilled’ dishes are amongst the most popular dishes throughout Sri Lanka and some of the most delicious. Typically served as a stir-fry of sorts, they combine sweet and sour notes with ferocious spice to make a truly winning dish. We have condensed these flavours into an intense marinade that gives these beautiful sweet king prawns a fiery kick. A perfect summery seafood dish.
12 King Prawns, shell on, vein removed
1 Small Bunch of Coriander, roughly chopped
2 Large Red Chillies
4 Garlic Cloves
25ml Dark Soy Sauce
Juice of 1 Large Lime
1 tsp. Hot Chilli Powder
1 tsp. Ground Coriander
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
1 tsp. Fine Salt
Pinch of Pepper
1. To make the Marinade, add all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until a smooth, deep red marinade is achieved. Ideally, you want a consistency similar to Ketchup.
2. Combine the marinade with the prawns and mix together ensuring the marinade is covering every nook and cranny of the prawns.
3. Leave the prawns to marinate for no more than 30 minutes as any longer and the lime juice will start to cook the prawns.
THE DEVILLED PRAWNS
1. Place a griddle pan over a high heat.
2. Once hot, brush the griddle pan with coconut oil and then add the prawns to the pan. Cook on each side for 2 minutes.
3. Serve the devilled prawns immediately with chopped Coriander, Coconut Sambaal and Lime Wedges.