GAMMON CARNITAS TACOS
Smokey and sweet, this slow cooked gammon is worth the wait. Perfect for sharing, with a rich and tender pork meat that is best served with guacamole and tortillas.
1.5kg Smoked Gammon Joint
1 Large Onion, sliced
200ml Orange Juice
100g Condensed Milk
200ml Chicken Stock
100g Butter, cubed
4 Garlic Cloves, peeled
1 large Bunch of Coriander, finely diced
3 Bay leaves
1 Large Ancho Chilli, roughly chopped
2 Small Chipotle Chillies, roughly chopped
2 tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
Ground Nut Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cumin, paprika, cinnamon, oregano, salt and pepper. Quarter the gammon into four equal sized chunks and roll in the spice mix. You will almost certainly have some of the spice mix left over which will be used later.
3. Place an oven safe dish over a medium heat with a generous lug of oil. You want the Gammon to fit quite snuggly so don’t choose too large a dish. Seal the meat on all sides and then set aside. Add the onion into the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chillies, bay leaves and remaining spice mix. Once the butter has fully melted return the Gammon to the pan and mix together. Remove from the heat.
4. Mix together the condensed milk, orange juice, chicken stock and Worcester sauce and add to pan until ¾ full. Cover the dish and transfer to the oven.
5. Cook for about 3 hours or until you are able to pull apart the gammon with a spoon. Periodically check the Gammon and turn every hour. If necessary, add more cooking liquid if reduced by more than half.
6. Transfer the Gammon to a serving dish and retain the cooking liquid. Using either a hand blender or food processor, blitz the cooking liquid until smooth.
7. Break apart the Gammon with a pair of forks into small chunks. Add a few tablespoons of the smooth cooking sauce with a squeeze of lime and the chopped coriander and mix together until well coated.
8. Serve with your choice of salsas, tortillas, cheese, rice, or whatever takes your fancy.