In a hurry
This is a delicious way to eat a fresh selection of juicy tomatoes in hot weather and works perfectly as a side with grilled fish or as the main event with some freshly toasted bread.
500g Mixed Tomatoes
100g Sundried Tomatoes
40ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of Half a Lemon
100g Kalamata Olives, pitted
25g Pine Nuts, toasted
1 Large Bunch of Basil, finely diced
1 Large Bunch of Dill, finely diced
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 120 °C
2. Roughly chop the olives and scatter on a baking tray. Place the olives into the oven and leave to cook for about an hour or until the olives are thoroughly dried out. Transfer the olives to a food processor and give them a quick blitz until a crumb texture is achieved. Remove and set aside until needed.
3. Place the pine nuts into the food processor and pulse a couple of times to gently break them up but not to a fine crumb. Remove and set aside.
4. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil and mix together.
5. Slice and portion the tomatoes - for the larger tomatoes I opt for thick slices and the smaller tomatoes I simply quarter or half. Everything in between is chef’s choice. Place on a large chopping board and season generously with salt. This will help to draw out a little moisture and intensify the flavour. Scatter the herbs over the tomatoes.
6. Prepare your serving platter with a drizzle of the olive oil and lemon dressing and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the tomatoes onto the platter and dress with some more of the lemon dressing. Finally, season the tomatoes with the black olive crumb and pine nuts. Enjoy immediately.