HALVA & PISTACHIO BROWNIES
I have shied away from making a brownie recipe so far, not out of love for them – they’re probably my favourite chocolate treat – but rather due to their popularity. It seems like there are so many delicious brownie recipes out there, so what could I have to add? Then, I came across Pistachio Halva and knew straight away I had to combine that beautiful sesame and pistachio flavour with chocolate. The end result are these pistachio brownies with halva pieces through it, that has a fudgey, nutty and totally irresistible texture.
225g 70% Dark Chocolate, chopped
225g Unsalted Butter, cubed
4 Eggs, at room temperature
150g Caster Sugar
130g Light Brown Sugar
2tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2tsp Fine Salt
100g Plain Flour
100g Pistachios, shelled
120g Halva, broken into 2–3cm pieces
A little Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
1. Preheat your oven to 175˚C. Butter and line with baking parchment a rectangular baking dish and set it aside.
2. Place the chopped-up chocolate and cubed butter in a heatproof bowl and melt over a small pan of simmering water (the bowl should not touch the water). Stir occasionally until entirely melted and set the bowl aside to cool down a little.
3. Whisk together in a large bowl the eggs, then add the caster sugar and light brown sugar, followed by the vanilla extract and salt. Gradually stir in the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the flour, making sure not to over-mix.
4. Add half of the pistachios to the batter, then pour the batter into the buttered tin. Spread evenly. Dot the halva pieces on the surface, pushing it down a little so that it is submerged but still visible. Scatter the rest of the pistachios over the top of the brownie and a pinch of Maldon sea salt flakes.
5. Bake your pistachio brownie for 30 to 35 minutes until just set. Let it cool on a rack before cutting and serving.