MUSHROOM & TOFU HOTPOT
We absolutely adore mushrooms. And noodles. And soups. So really this ticks all the boxes - a rich, earthy and unctuous broth topped with Marinated Tofu and Miso Glazed Mushrooms.
Oh – and it’s Vegan.
50l Soy Sauce
25g Dried Shitake Mushrooms
60g Dark Miso Paste
4 Spring onions, finely diced
20ml Yuzu Juice
1 Clove Garlic, minced
400g Mixed Mushrooms,
ideally oyster, shimeji and enoki
400g Soba Noodles
400g Firm Tofu
50ml Soy Sauce
2 Large Handfuls of Baby Spinach
4 Spring Onions, diced
1 tsp White Miso Paste
Furikake, or mixed sesame seeds
1. Cut the Tofu into 2cm cubes and then place in a bowl with the 50ml of soy sauce and leave to marinade overnight.
1. To Start the Broth, rehydrate the Shitake mushrooms in 1 Litre of hot water and leave to stand for 1 hour.
2. Remove the rehydrated mushrooms, making sure to retain all of the mushroom stock they have created, and finely chop half of the mushrooms, reserving the other half.
3. Place a large, deep pan over a medium heat and add a splash of ground nut oil. Add the 4 diced spring onions, diced shitake and the garlic and sweat for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
4. Add the Miso Paste to the pan and mix before combining the Sake, Mirin, Soy Sauce and the mushroom stock. Turn the heat up to high and bring to the boil to cook off the alcohol for 30 seconds or so and then reduce down to a medium low heat or a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Cook the Soba Noodles according to the cooking instructions and once ready, thoroughly wash under cold water, before setting aside before use.
6. Whilst the Broth is simmering, place a small pan over a medium high heat with a splash of ground nut oil. Add the marinated Tofu to the pan and fry on all sides until starting turning golden. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
7. Divide your mushrooms in half, and portion any larger mushrooms to similar sizes as the other mushrooms. Mix the white miso with 2 tsp of hot water until fully combined to create a miso glaze.
8. Add half of the mushrooms to the broth and cover again. Simmering for a further 5 minutes. Add the remaining mushrooms, including shitake, to the pan used for the tofu and sauté for 1-2 minutes before adding in the miso glaze and cooking for a further 2 minute.
9. Add the Spinach and yuzu to the broth and cover one last time and simmer for 1 minute.
10. To build your soup bowls, divide the noodles into 4 deep bowls, then ladle in the broth and then top with the mushrooms and tofu. Garnish the with diced spring onion, Furikake and chilli flakes. Serve immediately.