PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY BAKEWELL TART
We've changed the classic Bakewell tart to reflect one of our favourite combos ever - peanut butter and jam. With a homemade buttery pastry, this treat is sure to melt in your mouth.
200g Plain Flour
2tbsp Icing Sugar
100g Cold Unsalted Butter, diced
1tsp Lemon Juice
2-3tsp Ice-Cold Water
100g Unsalted Butter
100g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
50g Plain Flour
75g Peanut Flour
200g Strawberry Jam
20g Roasted Peanuts
2tbsp Frieze Dried Strawberries
1. To make the pastry, mix in a food processor the flour, icing sugar and butter together, then add gradually the lemon juice and water.
2. As the dough comes together, gently knead it onto a smooth ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 200˚C. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 3mm thickness. Place the pastry in a 36 x 12cm greased tart tin (or a 23cm round tin), leaving a little excess overhanging the edge.
4. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans or dried beans. Bake blind for 12-15 minutes, until the pastry is dry to the touch. Remove the paper and beans and return the pastry case to the oven for about 5 minutes, until lightly coloured. Take out of the oven and trim away excess pastry from the edge. Turn the oven down to 180˚C.
5. For the filling, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the plain and peanut flours.
6. Spread generously the jam over the base of the pastry case - don't hesitate to add some more. Top with the filling mixture and spread evenly.
Bake for 10 minutes, then scatter half of the roasted peanuts on top and cook for a further 15 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and add the remaining roasted peanuts and freeze dried strawberries on top. Leave to cool in the tin before slicing. Dust with icing sugar to serve.