A delicious take on the classic combination of ham and pineapple. Cooked in pineapple juice and then roasted to golden perfection with sticky pineapple jam glaze, this is the perfect centrepiece served hot as a main event or equally exquisite as cold-cuts.
1kg Boneless Gammon Joint
1L Fresh Pineapple Juice
1L Chicken Stock
3tbsp Pineapple Jam
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Bay Leaves
Pinch of Saffron
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1. Place the gammon in a large, deep pan and cover with cold water. Set over a high heat and bring to the boil. Remove the gammon from the pan and rinse clean.
2. Clean the pan and then return the gammon to it. Fill the pan with the pineapple juice, cinnamon stick, cloves and saffron and bay leaves and then top up the stock until the gammon is covered. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil before reducing the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1h30 minutes and until the centre of the gammon has reached an internal temperature of 70°C.
3. Remove the gammon from the pan and pat dry it with kitchen roll before placing onto a baking tray, lined with foil.
4. Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
5. Remove the skin from the gammon and using a sharp knife remove the fat from until there is only about 5mm is left. Score the remaining fat in a criss-cross pattern.
6. Mix a little of the poaching liquid with the pineapple jam to thin it and then, using a brush, spread a thick layer of the jam over the entire top and sides of the gammon.
7. Roast the gammon for 25 minutes, basting occasionally with the glaze, until the top is lightly charred. Serve hot or cold with charred pineapple, mustard and cranberry sauce.