SAUTÉED CABBAGE & SPROUT TOPS WITH TARRAGON BUTTER
Beautifully sautéed sprout tops and cabbage served with crisp bacon, toasted walnuts and an absolutely game-changing clove and tarragon butter. Absolutely delicious with your favourite roasted meat.
1 Nappa Cabbage, diced
300g Sprout Tops
200g Smoked Bacon, diced
1 Shallot, diced
40g Walnuts Halves, toasted
1 Large Bunch of Tarragon, roughly chopped
100g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
THE FLAVOURED BUTTER
1. Place a small pan over a medium heat and add half of the butter to the pan, allow the butter to melt and then reduce to a very low heat. Next, add the cloves to the butter and allow to infuse for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the cloves. Set aside to cool.
2. Once the butter has cooled, combine it with the remaining butter and add the tarragon and season with salt and pepper, mix together until fully combined and refrigerate until needed.
1. Remove any particularly large stems from the sprout tops and cut any large leaves in half.
2. Place a large pan of salted water over a medium-high heat. Once the water is at a rolling boil, add the sprout tops to the pan and blanch for 2-3 mins or until well softened. Remove from the pan and plunge into iced water.
3. Place a large pan over a medium heat and add the diced bacon to the pan. Cook the bacon for 4-5 minutes until just starting to turn crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside, reserving as much bacon fat in the pan as possible. Return the pan to the heat and add the onion. Sweat the onion for 2-3 minutes until starting to colour, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Then, add the sprout tops and the diced cabbage and sauté for 5-6 minutes moving the leaves around the pan constantly until the cabbage has softened.
4. Stir through a tablespoon of the flavoured butter and then transfer a serving plate.
5. Finally, mix through the crispy bacon and crumble over the walnut pieces. Serve immediately with an extra dollop of the flavoured butter.