SOY BLACK COD & MISO PEPPER PUREE
A deliciously fresh and vibrant fish dish – unctuous Black Cod marinated in sweet and salty soy married with a miso and roasted red pepper puree and a citrus pack choi salad. It’s a memorable show stopper you’ll keep returning to.
4 x Black Cod Fillets, skin-on and boned
1 Garlic Clove, finely sliced
4 Radishes, finely sliced
2 Large Red Bell Peppers
4 Small Pak Choi Heads
1 tbsp White Miso Paste
2tsp Yuzu Juice
100ml Soy sauce
50ml Rice Mirin
2tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Large Bunch of Coriander, roughly chopped
2tsp Furikake or Mixed Sesame Seeds
1. Combine the Soy Sauce, Sake and Rice Mirin in a small pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the sugar, stirring continuously until the sugar is fully dissolved. Allow the marinade to cool completely before adding to a bowl with the Black Cod fillets and leaving to marinade overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
3. Halve the red peppers length ways and remove the core and seeds. Drizzle the peppers with a little sesame oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and place cut-side-down on a baking tray. Roast the peppers in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the skin is just starting to blister and the flesh has softened.
4. Combine the Miso paste with 3 tbsp boiling water and mix until fully combined. Remove the skin from the roast peppers and give them a quick blitz in a food processor or blender, add the miso and then blitz again until a puree is achieved. Set aside.
5. Remove the end of the Pak Choi heads and separate the leaves out, cutting the larger leaves in half lengthways.
6. Place a large pan of salted water over a medium-high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Add the Pak Choi to the pan and blanch for 2-3 mins or until well softened. Remove from the pan and plunge into iced water.
7. Place a large pan over a medium heat with a lug of sesame oil and add in the garlic cook for a minute or so until the garlic starts to turn golden. Add the Pak Choi to the pan and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the yuzu juice, radishes, coriander and season with the Furikake.
8. To cook the fish, place a large pan over a medium heat and add a lug of sesame oil. Remove the fish from the marinade and pat off the marinade from the fish with kitchen paper. Add the fish to pan skin side up and cook for 3 minutes until starting to brown and blacken in patches. Turn the fish over and cook for a further 3 minutes until cooked through.
9. To serve, warm through the red pepper puree and spoon onto plates, add the Pak Choi and then finally the Black Cod. Serve immediately.