SRI LANKAN COCONUT ROTI
In a hurry
These were served at virtually every meal we experienced in Sri Lanka and are a favourite of ours to make at home due to their deliciousness and simplicity to make. The desiccated coconut and coconut milk really come through to flavour these flatbreads with a taste of Sri Lanka whilst balancing against the fiery chillies folded through the dough. Try them for yourself and become as hooked as we are.
300g Plain Flour, sifted
150g Desiccated Coconut
1 Shallot, finely sliced
2 Red Chilli, finely diced
2 Green Chilli, finely diced
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
100ml Tepid Water
100ml Coconut Milk
1. Add the flour, coconut, salt and pepper to a large bowl and mix together with a balloon whisk. Slowly add the coconut milk followed by the water, mixing together by hand to form a cohesive dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until a supple dough is achieved.
2. Add the shallot and chillies to the dough and knead together until evenly distributed. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Place a large, heavy frying pan over a medium heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the pan.
4. Divide the dough into eight even sized balls and then roll out to an even thickness of 5mm.
5. Cook each roti for 1-2 minutes on each side until just golden brown. Serve immediately.