STRAWBERRY GALETTE WITH ELDERFLOWER & RICOTTA
If you find pastry intimidating and fiddly let me convince you otherwise with this Strawberry Galette recipe! Rustic by nature, a galette is a free-form tart that is very easy to put together and ready in under an hour. The added elderflower and ricotta add sweet floral notes and freshness to this delightful strawberry tart. It’s particularly wonderful in Summertime when strawberries are at their peak, but feel free to experiment with other types of berries or stonefruits too!
FOR THE GALETTE PASTRY
190g Plain Flour
50g Granulated Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
120g Unsalted Butter, cold and cubed
1 Egg, whisked to brush the pastry
1 tsp Granulated Sugar
FOR THE FILLING
400g Fresh Strawberries, sliced
2–4 Tbsp Elderflower Syrup
TO MAKE THE GALETTE PASTRY
- To make the pastry for the galette, start by mixing the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer. Add the cold cubed butter (it has to be cold!) and work it into the dough as quickly as possible – if using a mixer, which I recommend for speed here, pulse it quickly – until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next, add up to 2 tablespoons of cold water little by little until the dough starts to come together. Bring the pastry together with your hands into a ball and flatten slightly into a disk shape. Then wrap in cling film, before placing in the fridge for an hour.
TO MAKE THE STRAWBERRY GALETTE
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 180˚C/ 160˚C fan oven.
- Slice the strawberries, place them in a bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the elderflower syrup. Set aside.
- Then, place the ricotta in a medium bowl, add 2 tablespoons of elderflower syrup and whisk until combined.
- Take the chilled dough out of the fridge. Roll on a lightly floured surface into a circle of about 30 cm in diameter. Place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Spoon the ricotta mixture in the centre of the dough and spread out, leaving a 5cm gap around the edge. Next, spread the sliced strawberries evenly over the ricotta (reserving the juice).
- Gently fold the pastry’s edges over the strawberries. Do not worry if it isn’t perfect, this is meant to be a rustic galette! Finally, brush the pastry with the whisked egg mixture and sprinkle a little granulated sugar before placing in the middle shelf of your oven.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Leave to cool a little before serving. You can drizzle extra elderflower syrup over your strawberry and ricotta galette before serving for that extra floral flavour. Enjoy!