These Cranberry and Brie Sausage Rolls are the perfect treat, whether as party nibbles or tucked away in a picnic hamper. The brie and cranberries make for a perfect pairing to really enhance the ever-popular sausage roll.
500g Puff Pastry
400g Pork Sausage Meat, higher welfare
1 Large Free Range Egg, whisked
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface into a large rectangle where the length is roughly treble its width until approximately 5mm thick. Divide into 8 even rectangles.
3. Divide the sausage meat into 8 even portions. Cut the brie into 8 even strips.
4. To make a sausage roll, flatten each sausage meat portion into a square the shortest width of your pastry rectangle. Add a strip of brie and a sprinkle of cranberries, season and then fold over and roll into a sausage shape so that you have a sausage with a Brie and cranberry core running through the middle of it.
5. Add the sausage meat to the top of each pastry rectangle and roll until fully enclosed. Seal the end with a little egg wash. Repeat until you have 8 sausage rolls.
6. Chill the sausage rolls in the fridge for 15-20mins.
7. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
8. Remove the pastry from the fridge and brush with the egg wash and then score diagonal cuts into the top of the pastry, making sure not to cut all the way through to the sausage meat.
9. Bake the sausage rolls for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is well risen and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Delicious served warm or cold.