ANCHOVIED LAMB SOUVLAKI
Souvlaki is arguably one of the most popular Greek dishes around.
Richly seasoned meat skewers, lovingly cooked to chargrilled perfection, traditionally served in a fluffy Greek Pita with some zingy salad and a delicious sauce. The Greeks adore lamb, and as Lamb in turn adores anchovies, we’ve decided to combine the two in our take on the traditional Souvlaki.
Don’t worry, the anchovy marinade isn’t going to make things taste at all fishy – if anything it only enhances the taste of the lamb. Served with the creamiest Tzatziki you’ve ever had, and this is a kebab you’ll want to come back to over and over again.
500g Lamb Leg, diced into 3cm chunks
6 Anchovy Fillets,
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 Garlic Clove
½ tbsp. Dried Oregano
½ tbsp. Dried Thyme
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
Generous Pinch of Salt & Pepper
200g Strained Greek Yoghurt
1 Medium Cucumber, approx. 200g
½ Small Garlic Clove, grated
Juice of ½ a Lemon
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Dried Mint
Pinch of Salt
Grilled Greek Pita
Diced Raw Onion
1. Peel the cucumber, slice in half and scrape out the core. Using a coarse grater, grate the cucumber and place into a fine mesh sieve. Salt the grated cucumber and leave over a bowl for 30mins-1hr. This will help to draw out the moisture in the cucumber. This step may seem like unnecessary time but it really makes a difference to the Tzatziki and will stop it from getting watery and keep it creamy.
2. Combine the Yoghurt, Garlic, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Dried Mint and mix together. Add the cucumber and mix together until fully incorporated.3. Refrigerate until needed.
THE LAMB SOUVLAKI.
1. Place the Anchovies, Garlic Clove, Dried Herbs and Lemon Zest into a food processor and blitz until everything is finely minced together. Add the olive oil and salt and pepper and blitz again until a loose marinade is achieved.
2.Add the marinade to the diced lamb and leave to to marinate for at least 1 hour or ideally overnight.
3. Before cooking, remove the lamb from the fridge, 30 minutes before cooking and thread onto skewers.
4. Place a large griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Place the skewers onto the griddle pan and cook for 4-6 minutes before turning over and cook for a further 4-6 minutes until cooked to your liking.
5. Serve Immediately with a grilled Greek Pita, Lettuce, Tomatoes and Onion and the Tzatziki.