SIDES & SALADS
MAPLE & SAGE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Timescale In A Hurry
- Serves 2-4
- Difficulty Simple
Roasted Butternut Squash is a real hallmark of autumnal and winter dining in our home. We’ve capitalised on the natural sweetness of our favourite squash and enhanced it with Maple Syrup and sage which is pure gold with squash. Add crisp, caramelised walnuts for texture and you’ve got yourself a pretty perfect plate.
It may be worth doubling or tripling your quantities for the walnuts – they’re beyond moreish!
1 Large Butternut Squash
60g Walnut Halves
40ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
40ml Maple Syrup
2 tsp. Dried Sage
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, maple syrup, dried sage and salt and pepper. Add the nuts to the bowl and mix until the nuts are evenly coated. Transfer the nuts to a large baking tray, ensuring most of the oil and maple mixture remains in the mixing bowl.
3. Place the nuts into the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes making sure to keep a close eye on the nuts as these will burn in moments if given the chance.
4. Once the nuts are toasted, remove from the pan and set aside until later.
5. Whilst your roasting the Walnuts, prepare the butternut squash. Slice the squash in half and remove the seeds and pith from the cavity. Remove the skin and slice the squash into roughly 1.5cm thick slices.
6. Once the nuts have been set aside, transfer the prepared butternut squash to the mixing bowl and mix until the squash is evenly coated in oil. Transfer to the oven and roast for 40 minutes or until fully cooked, turning the Squash half way through.
7. Season the squash with salt and pepper and add the walnuts.