BANANA BREAD WITH CHOCOLATE & HAZELNUT STREUSEL
This banana bread tastes absolutely wonderful and is seriously addictive – we dare you to have only one slice!
Super fluffy in texture, this cake has a delicious added crunch from the chocolate and hazelnut streusel placed in its centre and on top.
And to top it all, this cake is vegan!
THE BANANA BREAD
325g of Very Ripe Peeled Bananas, 3 to 4 bananas
100g Soft Light Brown Sugar,
300g Self-Raising Flour,
1 tsp. Cinnamon,
1 tsp. Baking Powder,
150ml Sunflower Oil, plus extra for greasing
THE CHOCOLATE STREUSEL
75g Chopped Hazelnuts, blanched
90g 70% Dark Chocolate,
50g Light Brown Sugar,
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon,
Pinch of Salt
THE BANANA BREAD
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking parchment, leaving about 1 cm of baking parchment to overhang.
- To make the Streusel, chop the hazelnut into small chunks (around 2 x 2mm) and roast for a few minutes in a pan set on low heat until they lightly colour. Chop the chocolate into small chunks and combine with the sugar, cinnamon and salt. When the hazelnuts are cool, add them to the chocolate mixture, mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas (either using a fork, or a blender, making sure not to overmix). Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and baking powder and roughly combine, using a wooden spoon.
- Add the sunflower oil and beat together well using a whisk until fully combined.
- Fill about half of the loaf tin with the banana batter and smooth the surface. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture evenly over the batter. Add in the remaining batter, smooth the surface and sprinkle evenly the remaining streusel over.
- Place in the oven and bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes a little moist out clean, about 45-60 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin. Lifting the baking parchment, carefully take the cake out of the tin and leave to cool on the wire rack for about an hour.