GRILLED ASPARAGUS & SPRING ONION ALL’AGRO (LEMON & OLIVE OIL)
These grilled asparagus and spring onion all’agro hardly warrants a recipe, and can be seen almost more of as a technique (and a straightforward one) rather than anything strict. The heat of the grill transforms the asparagus and spring onions, imparting a caramelised sweetness and a striking char. The simple Italian all’agro dressing of lemon and olive oil complements the vegetables beautifully with a little zing, and the added pine nuts and shaved cheese bring that extra flair and flavour to elevate the simple dish just a notch.
200g Spring Onions
20g Pecorino or Parnegiano Cheese
20g Pine Nuts
100ml (1/2 cup) Olive Oil
Juice of one Medium Lemon
Zest of one Lemon
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
- Start by preparing the spring onions by trimming off the tops and cutting off the root ends, being careful to keep the bulb together. Trim the woody ends of the asparagus.
- Brush both the spring onions and the asparagus with olive oil. Add to a grill pan set to high heat and cover with a lid or cloche. Cook on both sides until softened and grill marks appear, for about 20 minutes. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Whilst this is happening, roast your pine nuts in the oven set at 170°C/ 160°C fan oven for about 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Next, make your all’agro dressing by vigorously whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place your grilled asparagus and spring onions on a serving plate. Drizzle some of the all’agro dressing over, followed by shavings of cheese, and roasted pine nuts. Add lemon zest and a seasoning of salt and pepper and you’re ready to serve. This side dish will be a beautiful addition alongside these Lamb Shanks with Wild Garlic, and any hearty meat dishes.