SICILIAN SALAD WITH RADICCHIO, FENNEL, BLOOD ORANGES & AN APEROL DRESSING
Sicilian Salad makes for a wonderful Winter salad using seasonal produce like radicchio and blood oranges.The thinly sliced fennel, red onion and almonds provide a delightful crunch whilst the olives brings a burst of salty umami flavour.
An Aperol dressing elevates this super easy salad with just a few ingredients for added depth and interest.
Bursting with colour, wonderful flavours and minimal effort this salad is a perfect refreshing accompaniment to your hearty meals this Winter.
FOR THE SICILIAN SALAD
2 Blood Oranges
1 Small Red Onion, very thinly sliced
1 Fennel Bulb, thinly sliced
A handful of Almonds, roughly sliced
10–12 Pitted Italian Olives
1 Radicchio Salad
FOR THE APEROL DRESSING
2 Tbsp Aperol
1 1/2 Tbsp of juice of a Blood Orange
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
½ tsp Fennel Seeds
A pinch of Salt
A pinch of Pepper
TO MAKE THE APEROL DRESSING
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, Aperol and blood orange juice together. Add the fennel seeds, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
TO MAKE THE SICILIAN SALAD
- To take the edge off the raw onion make a quick pickle: add red wine vinegar to a bowl and add the thinly sliced red onion and set aside. If raw onion is your thing though, feel free to skip this step!
- Next, make segments of the blood oranges and clementines. First, slice the top and button of the citrus fruits. Next, slice off the peel and pith off following the curve of the fruit, trying as much as possible to not remove too much of the flesh. Then, slice between each segments of the fruit until you reach the middle. You should be able to lift out segments and have just the fibrous center left, which you can discard.
- Wash your radicchio salad leaves, then arrange on a large serving platter in a random pattern, followed by the citrus segments. Then, scatter the pickled red onion and sliced fennel. Finally, top with olives and almonds.
- Drizzle the Aperol dressing over the Sicilian Salad and serve.