HAZELNUT & CHOCOLATE DIGESTIVE BISCUITS
Digestive Biscuits may not have the sexiest name but boy are they moreish! And these Hazelnut & Chocolate Digestive Biscuit recipe truly transforms them into a delicious and decadent biccy to enjoy with your afternoon tea. Made with oats, whole wheat flour, and in this version hazelnuts, the nutty little biscuits are super easy to make. They also make great gifts for friends and family as they’ll keep for about two weeks and fair well in transport!
40g Roasted Chopped Hazelnuts
150g Butter, at room temperature
100g Golden Caster Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
260g Wholemeal or Spelt Flour
200g Dark 70% Chocolate
Extra Roasted Chopped Hazelnuts for decorating (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C/ 180˚C Fan and line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Start by blending the roasted hazelnuts and oats in a blender until they resemble a coarse flour.
- Next, mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy using an electric mixer, for about 5 minutes. Then, add the eggs one by one, until well combined.
- Mix together the baking powder, the hazelnut and oat flour, salt and wholemeal (or spelt) flour together. Add the dry mixture, a teaspoon at a time to the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Don’t worry if it looks dry, it will eventually come together, no need to add any milk or water.
- Place the dough on a floured surface, then roll out using a rolling pin to 5mm thick. Cut out the biscuits using a round cutter or a glass of about cm in diameter. Put back together the leftover dough and roll back out and cut out biscuits until all the dough has been used.
- Place the cut out biscuits on a baking tray, prick all over using a fork. Bake for about 11 to 13 minutes until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, place of a cooling rack and leave to cool fully.
- Finally, melt the chocolate in the microwave, and dunk half of your biscuits in. To prevent too much chocolate from coating the biscuits, shake them a bit and wipe off any excess using a spoon. Place them flat on a baking sheet and sprinkle with extra chopped hazelnuts.