RHUBARB JAM ROLY POLY
Jam Roly Poly is an old school British bake, served drowning in too much custard, with its soft sponge and sweet jam it is simply delicious.
We have added rhubarb jam instead of the usual strawberry and its lip-smacking tart sweetness really takes this comforting classic to new heights.
If you cannot get your hands on rhubarb jam don’t fret. It’s incredibly easy to make!
250g Self Raising Flour,
125g Beef or Vegetarian Suet,
25g Caster Sugar,
6–7 Tbsp. Rhubarb Jam,
Butter, to grease
Roast Rhubarb, optional
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan).
- In a large bowl add the self-raising flour, suet and caster sugar.
- Pour the milk into the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture should come together to form a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and roll out your dough using a rolling pin to a 23 cm by 30 cm rectangle.
- Spread the rhubarb jam over the dough, making sure to leave a border of 1.5 cm along the edges, to avoid the jam to spill out when baking.
- Taking the shorter side, gently roll the dough to form a log, making sure not to squeeze out the jam.
- Butter a piece of baking parchment that is wider and longer than you roll. Place the baking parchment on top of a piece of foil the same size.
- Carefully lift your Jam Roly-Poly and place it with the seam side up onto the prepared sheets. Fold over the top of your sheets to seal the parcel, making sure to leave space for the Jam Roly-Poly to expand, and twist the two ends, like a cracker.
- Place a tray on the bottom shelf of your oven and fill to about halfway up with boiling water. Place your wrapped Jam Roly-Poly on the middle shelf of your oven above the water-filled tray.
- Bake for 1 hour 5 min.
- Take out the roll of the oven and carefully remove the baking parchment and foil, before transferring to a platter.
- Serve in slices with warm vanilla custard and roast rhubarb.