TURKEY & CHESNUT PITHIVIER
A perfect way of using up any roast turkey leftovers. It would be well worth roasting an entire turkey just to make this glorious crowd pleaser.
500g Puff Pastry
400g Cooked Turkey Meat, 50/50 white and brown meat
2 Leeks, diced
80g Chestnuts, cooked
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
100ml Crème Fraiche
100ml Dry Sherry
100ml Turkey Stock or Gravy
1 Large Bunch of Thyme, sprigs picked
1 Large Free Range Egg, whisked
Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1. Place a large pan over a medium-high heat with a generous lug of olive oil. Add the diced leeks and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until starting to colour, stirring often to avoid anything burning.
2. Add the sherry into the pan and turn the heat up to high, cooking until the liquid is reduced by two thirds, stirring occasionally to prevent anything catching on the bottom of the pan.
3. Turn the heat down to medium before tearing the turkey meat into large chunks and add to the pan along with the turkey stock or gravy. Mix together and leave to simmer until the liquid in the pan is reduced by three quarters. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for ten minutes before mixing in the crème fraiche, thyme sprigs and chestnuts. Season to taste.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C
5. Divide the pastry into two portions, where one is slightly larger than the other, and then roll both out into squares to a depth of 3mm.
6. Mark out a circle 25cm in diameter on the smaller pastry square and then add the filling to the pastry, ensuring to leave at least 1cm of pastry around the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash before adding the second piece of pastry on top, pressing down around the filling and sealing. Cut away any excess pastry until you have a neat 25cm circular pithivier.
7. Brush the pastry with the egg wash and then lightly score a starburst pattern into the top of the pastry, taking great care not to cut all the way through to the filling.
8.Bake the pithivier for 30 minutes or until the pastry is well risen and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool rest for ten minutes before serving with cranberry sauce and braised greens.